Thursday, April 1, 2010

Langley Schools Music Project

I debated putting up a shitty album for April Fool's Day but I couldn't think of one that was sufficiently funny. Moreover, maybe I am fooling myself into thinking I don't know about bad music. However, I do have a crazy strange album that could be considered jokingly or one the creepiest things in the world depending on your attitude. Where I downloaded this particular release I've forgotten but I do know that I had to look into it, and the story is roughly that a guy got access to a British Columbian school where he preceded to make 2-track recordings of children singing popular songs from 60s and 70s. I'm assuming he or another musician are playing the instruments but the singing is done wholly by kids, which is something that is usually really annoying yet here it is awe-inspiring/creepy. The extremely lo-fi nature of the recordings are a saving grace for me, just distorted enough to make it comfortable for me. The songs chosen undoubtedly help too, with several Beach Boys tracks being in the mix, but perhaps the best of all is their version of David Bowie's "Space Oddity" that is sung in chorus. Oddly, songs that I usual hate such as "Sweet Caroline" are improved greatly by this treatment. If you want to know more about it there is a wikipedia page that you can begin with, which claims it did make a buzz at one point.

To be had here:
Langley Schools Music Project [128 kbps]

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog by chance. Believe it or not, I have been looking for this one for ages - there's no accounting for taste I suppose. My search was not helped by the fact that I didn't actually know what the album was called. Whilst I'm here, can I put in a shameless plug for my blog http://philsbootlegs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete