Friday, May 27, 2011

Sioum - I Am Mortal, But Was Fiend (2010)

This was a submission that I was eager to check out upon getting home. Sioum is a three piece instrumental post-rock/post-metal band. As is frequently the case with the post-rock bands they do take their time building up the tension and excitement before really letting loose with some spectacular guitar and drum work, only to slow it down for another escalation. The way I just put it might not convey my admiration of the style properly. I'm a big fan of post-rock or post-metal done right. Moreover, being willing to flux between lighter, more ambient mood and the quick and heavy is all the more reason to give it a listen. Sioum does this transition of sounds in a dramatic and skill fashion, and their use of foley sounds makes the less hectic moments possess a degree of eeriness. I've taken a fancy to listening to this album with my morning coffee for the last few days and it anything but abrasive on my sluggish, recently awoken brain. Simply put: I Am Mortal, But Was Fiend is a beautifully done album.

To be had here:
Sioum - I Am Mortal, But Was Fiend

No comments:

Post a Comment