Thursday, June 16, 2011

Killa - Silmät sulkaset (2004)

My love of Finnish experimental folk has not waned as evidenced by my post of Kemialliset Ystävät earlier this month. Whenever I get back to listening to Kemialliset Ystävät I have a desire to go out and hunt down more Finnish experimental music, and this time I came back with Kiila. Their album, Silmät sulkaset, is more overtly folksy than either Kemialliset Ystävät or Paavoharju for example. The traditional acoustic instruments used by Kiila are largely responsible for this tone to the album, although they do still utilize electronic instruments and effects albeit more sparsely and subtly. Their sound is likely better compared to Six Organs of Admittance or Islaja. Probably should've caught on to Kiila sooner, seeing as this album is already seven years old, but better late than never and I am glad I found them at all.

To be had here:
Killa - Silmät sulkaset [192 kbps]

3 comments:

  1. thanks much for this - i had never heard them before and i am really digging it. so much good avant-folk from that part of the world!
    cheers,
    edo
    knowyourconjurer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. Cheers for this. Check out good Finnish Fonal folk over at my place at www.weirdbrother.blogspot.com Why not link up. I've got spacerockmountain linked already

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure thing, the link is placed and I must extend my praise for what you're doing over there.

    ReplyDelete