Monday, January 9, 2012

Twink - Itsy Bits & Bubbles (2011)

Found this in my inbox the other day and was rather curious about what the submitter had labelled the music, toytronica. Portmanteaus, as the cousin of the pun, is something I sometimes find myself drawn to. However, no matter how neat word play might be, I'm posting it because I found the music itself cool. Obviously, toy instruments matched with electronic techniques are the defining elements of Twink. What makes it worthwhile to listen to is the way songs aren't cloying with the cuteness of child's toys nor feel like a gimmick. Certainly unusual and strange, but I think there's something exciting about uncommon instrumentation. The mood of the music is rather upbeat, sorta reminds me of minimalistic version of Architecture In Helsinki where there are no singing, horns, etc. Probably the thing that made me the most jazzed was when I heard Twink's cover of Harold Faltermeyer's Axel F (titled here as Axel Foley) from Beverly Hills Cop. While the album does have a degree of novelty that could turn some off, I found it charming. Streamable on bandcamp, downloadable for $4.99 or a CD version for a bit more.

To be had here:
Twink - Itsy Bits & Bubbles

3 comments:

  1. I just grabbed this last week and it's great. nice post!

    -edo
    knowyourconjurer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Digging this. Thanks for pointing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too found this CD in the past few weeks and have fallen in love with it! The simplicity of the toy piano fused and layered with the electronic beats make for a match made in heaven. Another great Twink CD is "A Very Fine Adventure"... Perhaps my fav of the three I own.

    ReplyDelete