Friday, March 23, 2012

Daddy Rockin' Strong: A Tribute to Nolan Strong & The Diablos (2010)

Almost embarrassingly I've only recently discovered the Detroit doo-wop titians, Nolan Strong and the Diablos. Never been one to hunt down much in the way of doo-wop, Nolan Strong's voice has ensured a change in my ways. However, the how experience was exponentially enhanced when I found out I was far from alone in this reverence and that in fact many of my favorite musicians had contributed to a compilations of covers in tribute to the singer. Detroit acts I just saw during the Blowout in Hamtramck: the Dirtbombs, Outrageous Cherry, and the Hentchmen are just part of the amazing assemblage the got for Daddy Rockin' Strong. There's also the phenomenal Mark Sultan, Demon's Claw, the A-Bones, Reigning Sound, Cub Koda... even ex-Gorie Danny Kroha's new outfit. I can't think of a better line up of musicians nor a better subject for a tribute compilation. Do indulge yourself in any Nolan Strong you can hunt down and share any good recordings you might find, I've yet to get anything comprehensive.

To be had here:
Daddy Rockin' Strong: A Tribute to Nolan Strong & The Diablos [256 VBR kbps]

1 comment: