Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Ray Charles - Ray Charles at Newport (1958)

If you read yesterday's post you might be able to guess why I've decided to put this album up. It is only album that's holding its own against Barra 69 in my regular listening, at least at work. While they mightn't be obviously similar, with Ray Charles being a prophet of soul music and Caetano Veloso being an instigating force in Tropicalia, there's the obvious connection of the power of live performance and excitingly fresh sounds (even if we're only receiving an audio recording thereof). The amazingly done versions of "I Got A Woman" and "Talkin' 'Bout You" are unforgettable, and the absolute skill in which every song is executed is astounding. I've gladly shave years off my life for the opportunity to go back and see such an event. Hope you've enjoyed my detour for these posts, for I think it is important to go and touch base with this sorta thing even if you're familiar as I am sure many of you are with this album.

To be had here:
Ray Charles - Ray Charles at Newport [320 kbps]

No comments:

Post a Comment