Friday, February 21, 2014

The Gorlons - The Gorlons (2014)

I haven't forgotten my love for garage rock in my latest renewed fervor for post-rock. Doubt most anything could diminish it, and just to reinforce that sentiment I'm sharing one of the best garage rock albums we've been sent in months. The Gorlons hail from Springfield, MO and they've got a brings me straight back to the days before I even wrote this blog and was a dumb kid looking through the CDs at the public library trying to find anything and everything lo-fi. It shares many of my favorite qualities of the Hentchmen or the long-ago-posted Different Skeletons, as in from the simplicity of the music that can make something incredibly full and dynamic through fuzzy guitar, organs and singing that I find just inside the realm of intelligible without going overboard like modern radio hits. The band, as garage goes, has a heavy retro streak in it as it does remind me of earlier revival bands a remarkable catchiness like The Flamin' Groovies, but of course louder and speedier. I'd say this is produced with a skill that exceeds either of those groups, as least as for a debut when it comes to the Hentchmen. A most excellent driving around album, and in particular I find makes a band much more enjoyable to re-listen to, even more so if heard while you slide your old Caprice around on black ice driving to work at 3:30am like I did. I really must recommend "Rollercoaster" and "Dirty" as two of the neatest songs I have had the pleasure to review on here for a bit, yet the whole album is solid. They've posted the album for free listening on youtube, but should you like to support them and own a copy they're selling it on bandcamp.

To be had here:

2 comments:

  1. This is one awesome record. Just bought myself a cassette copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really solid album. Strongly recommend!

    ReplyDelete